Zach’s first week at school

We've done it. We have made it to Friday and I am writing this whilst Oscar is napping in his pram in the front room. I am munching some honey on toast and drinking a hot chocolate from Costa (so dangerous having to pass one on the school run). We have had rain and sun. We have had school walks and quite literal school runs. But, we have done it. I have gotten Zach to the playground every day before the teachers have opened the doors. Get in!

But how has Zach been? Has there been tears as I expected? Has there been clinging onto legs as I feared there might be? Has there been screams of muuuuuumy as I walk away from the classroom?

Has there heck!

My boy – my big boy has taken to school like a duck to water and I am just the proudest mother. 


So, let's backtrack a bit to Monday morning. His uniform was ironed and ready. His shoes were by the door and he was extremely excited. Oscar was dressed at first nappy change, they were both given breakfast, the other half and I showered and got ready and we were all ready to leave together at 8.22. Because the other half had already missed the earlier train, he walked over the road with us and left us before we turned into the the alley that leads down to the residential area where school is. We continued on our journey to the school gates and were greeted by the headteacher as we walked in. Which was fab because a) he is lovely and b) I had no idea where I needed to go! 

It's our first day – where do I need to go?

After informing me that he couldn't believe that it was Zach's first day because he looks about a year older than he actually is and he was sure it was a year 1 boy walking towards him, he pointed us round to the part of the playground where the doors to reception are. Of course, knowing absolutely no-one, the three of us loitered in the playground until the doors were opened and the two reception teachers came out, both holding a list of names for their respective classes. We went over to Zach's teacher, he told her his name and she showed him where he needed to go. 

It was at this point that I thought the tears would happen. He was holding his water bottle and his coat and he was very reserved, if a little shy. I could see he was nervous about this new surrounding and going off on his own but then I quickly asked him for a kiss and a cuddle, told him to have a great day and in he went – meandering off into his classroom and not looking back once.

I hovered for a moment, peering in to see if he'd popped his head out again, half expecting him to come running back out in floods of tears. But it didn't happen. I looked again…nothing. He'd gone. He was in his classroom and that was that. So I turned around, held back the sobs of tears that wanted to stream out of me and walked back through the playground, out of the gates and started the journey home. 

Oscar fell asleep on the way home which was the plan. He always fell asleep on the way home from nursery and around 9am is his nap time so I always hoped that he would fall asleep on the school run. I got home, left him in the pram in the hall, made some breakfast, opened my laptop, sat down to do some work and 2 hours later he woke up! It was like a dream – better than I ever could have imagined (of course, subsequent days haven't quite gone that well with naps and there have been a couple of half hours followed by some sleeping on me!). 

Oscar and I filled our time until we needed to go and pick Zach up again at 1.10. He is doing two weeks of half days, staying until after lunch before he starts full time. So off we went, to do our second part of the school run. The gates to the playground were locked and so we had to head into the school office and the children were brought out to us. When Zach saw me through the glass, a big smile appeared on his face and I heard him say mummy, happily. 

Out he bundled, giving me a big cuddle and as we left the office and headed into the playground, I asked him how his day had been.


It was the best. It was so, so good. I can't wait to go again

Phew! He loved it. He absolutely loved it.

Now, getting any information out of a four year old about what they have actually done is nigh on impossible but I did manage to find out that he had made two friends, Jack and Kai, and that he had a cheese roll for lunch because he doesn't like sheherds pie which was on the menu.

He informed me that the star sticker on his jumper was for doing good work and the stamp on his hand was for doing good eating. Oh, and that he had played football in the playground and Jack had pushed him but he hadn't told a teacher. That actually is quite a lot of information but I can tell you that five days in, no other information has been shared other than what he's had for lunch! 

So, Tuesday came around and he was equally excited. He met his new friend Kai in the playground (I have yet to meet Jack and am unsure if he even exists!), and I got chatting to his mum and then the doors were opened and in they bundled together, having to be called back for kisses and cuddles from us mums! 

On pick up, a happy Zach came running to me again, he had another stamp, had eaten his lunch well and that was that.

Wednesday, the same. It was going well. We were on humpday and there had been no tears, no reservations. Just a confident happy boy.

Thursday. Oh we were running late. The school run became an actual run, Zach got a stitch and I had to let him stand on the front of the pram chassis so that we got there on time.

I was a bit hot and sticky but we made it with 2 minutes to spare on the clock…boom!

Once again, pick up was fine and was now happening in the playground rather than the school office. He told me that he had made another friend called Ava and then on the way out, a little boy from his class said to him,

Aren't you going to hug me goodbye?

To which, Zach took it one step further and gave him a kiss on the cheek too! I discovered that this little boy is called Alfie. 

And now it is Friday. Once again, we met Kai and his mum in the playground, had a chat before the two of them bundled off together (after we had dragged them back for a kiss and a cuddle). Oscar is still napping (hooray), my toast and hot chocolate are finished (yum) and I have written this whole post in one sitting (I bet he wakes up before I manage to add some photos because the builders next door are making a racket!).

At 1.10 I will be picking Zach up for the last time this week and then it's our first weekend post school week. Tomorrow morning he is back to gymnastics – a different class to the original one as that was at lunchtime on a Monday which is now a no-go, and it's no longer the pre-school class because, well, he is a school boy now!

It has been such a great start to our first school week. It has been everything that I didn't think it would be. From the no tears to the making friends on the first day, it has been a huge success. 

And now? Now I am so ready for him to go full time. Because you know what? He is knackered. When he comes home after lunch, I have hours of him being tired and moody and being so damn rude to me. His attitude still stinks but when he is tired it is doubled! So at least when he is full time, I have 2 hours less of his crap. I'll be two hours closer to bedtime!

Only one more week of half days to get through!

Have your little ones started school this week or moved up a year? How have they got on?

P.S. Oscar didn't wake up. I have written, added photos, proofed, edited and published this post in one sitting!! 

Share this post on


  1. September 12, 2017 / 6:40 am

    So great that your little man loved his first week at school! Brilliant pix too x #twinklytuesday

  2. September 12, 2017 / 7:34 am

    Aw I'm so glad he had a fab time for his first week at school 🙂 our school start full time from day 1! Hope he is enjoying his 2nd week so far 🙂 xx #twinklytuesday

  3. September 12, 2017 / 9:16 am

    That's great news.  So glad he had a great time.  You were probably more nervous than him!  That's us mums for you haha.  

    Elf x


  4. September 12, 2017 / 9:33 am

    Glad it went OK! Onto the next week… #twinklytuesday

  5. September 12, 2017 / 9:43 am

    He's done so well with his first week! L's attitude is awful when he's tired, I know the cause but it is still so hard to deal with. Who thought you'd be looking forward to full time school. #TwinklyTuesday

  6. September 12, 2017 / 9:43 am

    Hooray for a great first week at school! So sweet when his friend asked for a hug goodbye haha! Xxx #twinklytuesday

  7. September 12, 2017 / 11:52 am

    Glad that Zach had a first week at school – shame schools makes them tired but soon this attitude will also be something of the past. Somehow they grow out of that.#twinklytuesday

  8. September 12, 2017 / 12:22 pm

    Oh so proud of him! He looks like he really enjoyed and I hope this feeling lasts throughout his school life. #TwinklyTuesday

  9. September 12, 2017 / 12:22 pm

    Ah it sounds like he's doing really well! It's so nice to have the time to get things done while the little one is sleeping too! 

  10. September 12, 2017 / 12:30 pm

    That is amazing that he has taken to it so well. 🙂 x


  11. September 12, 2017 / 2:31 pm

    Hooray for Zach and for mommy.  The twins are hit and miss so far.  One day one is ahppy the other is teary, the next day they switch.



  12. September 12, 2017 / 7:49 pm

    Ah im so glad he had a great first week, I hope this week brings much of the same, minus the stroppy afternoons. xx #twinklytuesday

  13. September 12, 2017 / 8:20 pm

    Awww how lovely that he enjoyed his first week of school. My little one doesn't start school until next year but I'm dreading it already #TwinklyTuesday 

  14. September 12, 2017 / 8:46 pm

    He's going to rock it! And give yourself a reward too. #twinklytuesday 

  15. September 12, 2017 / 9:35 pm

    Awww I'm so happy for you both, that he's settled in so well! I bet he is exhausted though, my little ones are hideous monsters when they're tired!

  16. September 12, 2017 / 9:35 pm

    Awww I'm glad it went ok and he's made new friends. It was my first day yesterday and I went in no bother either. Must be the conditioning at nursery! 😉 #TwinklyTuesday

  17. September 12, 2017 / 9:49 pm

    Ah it sounds like he's absolutely loving it – I love when they get their little friendships blossoming! Doesn't it wear them out so much?! It's amazing (though, as a reception teacher, I have to say it makes it hard for us towards the end of the week!) Thanks for hosting #twinklytuesday

  18. September 13, 2017 / 4:04 am

    Sounds like hes having the best time!! Great post #TwinklyTuesday

  19. September 13, 2017 / 11:17 am

    Its great when your kids take to school so well. And extra blogging time is always a bonus #twinklytuesday

  20. September 17, 2017 / 10:04 am

    Isn't it the BIGGEST relief when they enjoy it?! We've done two weeks now and Little Man has done full days from the beginning! I'm trying not to take it for granted as I'm sure there will be a day when he won't want to go. But until then, I'm going to make the most of it. Still miss him like mad though! Well done Zach (&Mummy!) #TwinklyTuesday

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.