#Blogtober day 8 – Holidays

Holidays. They are funny things aren't they? You spend ages and ages waiting for them to come around (unless you've booked a last minute one in which case it comes around pretty speedily!), and then they are over before you know it. No other week (or two if you are lucky) goes as quickly as when you are away! And then you get back and boom…back to reality, piles of washing to do, a mountain of post to open and kids who are suffering from holiday withdrawal!

Holidays pre-children are something else though aren't they? At the time, you don't really appreciate the sheer beauty of them – the quietness, the tranquility, the relaxation. But once you have kids and you look back on those pre-children holidays, they really do come into their own.

I remember our trip away to Canterbury for a long weekend. We always do our research and I especially love to find pretty and special places to stay and when I discovered Bluebells Guesthouse, I immediately knew that it would be a gorgeous place to stay and so we booked it up. And it did not disappoint. It was divine. We stayed in the Orchid Suite which is basically the whole top floor of the guest house. As soon as we arrived, the owners were just amazing – making us feel instantly settled and helping us plan our few days. The breakfast was freshly cooked and the mornings were relaxed, planning our days and seeing where they took us.

We explored the Kent coast, visiting Herne Bay, Whitstable and Broadstairs, and of course we spent some time in Canterbury itself. It was quite simply divine and was a gorgeously relaxing break away (where of course, we decided the time was right to start a family!).

We had another couple of trips, visiting the other half's family up in Formby. Here we had long walks on the beach, evenings in the pub and time chatting to family without interruption (I literally can't have a conversation these days without being interrupted a million times!).

Then, when I was almost 6 months pregnant, we had our final holiday pre-children. We went on the most gorgeous holiday to Turkey. The other half researched and researched and we finally booked a stunning resort up in the mountains in Olu Deniz. Honestly, it was the most luxurious place that I have been and we basically spent the entire time sitting round the pool because it was incredibly hot (I'm talking almost 40 degrees per day) and with me being pregnant, I just needed to dip into the pool every now and then to cool down.

We did a couple of boat excursions and ventured down to town one day (although I had enough after about an hour and demanded a taxi back to the pool!). We used their gorgeous spa and I had a delicious pregnancy massage whilst the other half made use of the Turkish Baths which I wasn't allowed in. Breakfast and dinner were spent on the terrace restaurant and in the evenings we chilled out at the outside bar drinking mocktails.

Honestly, it was heaven.

Our holidays have very much changed. No longer are they about us but about how much entertainment there is for the boys.

No longer do we laze round the pool but instead, spend the day at a local splashpark.

No longer do we spend relaxing days on the beach but days where we cannot take our eyes off of the children for fear of them getting themselves into danger.

No longer do we have lazy mornings sipping tea at breakfast, but hectic ones which generally start at 6am and feature a multitude of different cereals.

No longer do we have long walks through nature, instead everything has to be full of entertainment so we don't get complaints of 'this is boring'!

Holidays sure have changed, heck, they are completely and utterly different. But you know what, seeing the enjoyment on my children's faces (most of the time) is worth 10 of those divine massages, or the swims in the crystal clear seas.

Ok, maybe not 10 but you know, they are blooming fab too!

#Blogtober17

45 Comments

1. October 9, 2017 / 9:56 pm

I miss child free holidays! Next summer we're going on holiday with my parents though so at least we might get a bit of child free time!

• October 12, 2017 / 10:16 am

Oh amazing! We have been away with the in law’s 3 times now and somehow we have never been child free (despite the promise that we can have some us time haha!)

2. October 10, 2017 / 6:51 am

This is lovely, We were quick to have children when we got together, so only had a couple of child free holidays, but what we did have were amazing, Paris long weekends in London and New York for our honeymoon. I look back on them all with fond memories, and I do wish we could have another child free break at some point. But as you say the holidays and memories made with the children are even better. xx #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:15 am

Oh definitely but what wonderful child free holidays you had. I am sure one day those holidays will be back and we’ll be missing the children!

3. October 10, 2017 / 7:23 am

Holidays do change with little ones but if you crave a little of that pre child style holiday I promise they come back. We can now leave our boys running the family farm holidays here and have those cheeky weekend breaks again in our favourite places. Trust me it all comes round too fast so enjoy those family holidays for now. #TwinklyTuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:14 am

Oh you are so right. I have no doubt that in the future I’ll probaby crave them to be coing on holiday with us when they don’t want to haha! Lovely that you can leave the boys in charge and get away – you do so much for other people’s enjoyment so you deserve some for you too!

4. October 10, 2017 / 9:08 am

Looks so fun.  I do miss the beach at times as mine are teenagers they are reluctant to get stuck in!  Thanks for sharing.

Ellen x

#TwinklyTuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:13 am

We have only just really hit the beach stage – Zach thought it was pretty boring until this year although Oscar seems to be a big fan of the sand! It’s sad when they grow out of things though!

5. October 10, 2017 / 9:43 am

Yep,. hoildays totally change when you have little ones don't they. For one thing you have to deal with packing more and still getting up early 😉 X #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:12 am

Haha yes, those early mornings can be a killer! I remember being away a couple of years ago in this country and the blooming seagulls woke us all up at about 5.30 every morning and so then Zach was boom awake!

6. October 10, 2017 / 10:18 am

It is always nice to get away child-free for a mini break but I always miss them. Planning holidays now is totally different, but I really enjoy looking at what things the children will enjoy and I find I actually do a lot more. 🙂 x

#twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:09 am

Yes I totally agree. I can’t imagine being away without the boys. Maybe one day but not now!

7. October 10, 2017 / 10:32 am

I miss child-free holidays too! I have a sneaky feeling I took them for granted 🙂 xx #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:08 am

I definitely think that we took them for granted because we had no idea how peaceful they were!

8. October 10, 2017 / 11:10 am

I love seeing the kids excited on holiday but I do think back to those beautiful pre kid times. Ah the bliss.

• October 12, 2017 / 10:07 am

Haha it’s such a mix of emotion isn’t it?! But yes, overall, seeing the kids excited and happy outweighs everything!

9. October 10, 2017 / 11:38 am

I miss child-free holidays too! I'm hoping to have the best of both worlds in a few weeks when I head off on a cruise that has a fab children's holiday programme on board! Fingers crossed 🙂 #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:06 am

Oh that sounds like the best way! I think cruise’s are becoming more and more popular for this very reason! Have a wonderful tie when you go 🙂

10. October 10, 2017 / 12:19 pm

Holidays are VERY different post kids. We managed one childfree holiday together when I got together with my husband and shipped my firstborn off for the week and we're counting down to childless holidays again! That said this time next week we'll be at the airport and embarking on a 6 hour flight- could be interesting!

Olu Deniz is lovely, I went there a long time ago when I was about 10!

Thanks for hosting #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:05 am

Oh – I wish you the best of luck but have a wonderful holiday!!

11. October 10, 2017 / 1:07 pm

Wonderful memories with or without children. When the children are little it's so easy to feel like you're just doing exactly the same but in a different, more sweaty location. I do always feel like you achieve so much more when you have children on holiday as the days start so much earlier 😉

We're heading off on a childfree break tomorrow. It was meant to be Ibiza but alas the universe has intervened and it's London instead. The prep for childrefree holidays seems so much more stressful, so much organising, logistics and packing!! #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:03 am

Oh goodness, I can’t even imagine! So much more to do if you are going child free. We have yet to do that – I think it will be a while (if at all!). Have a wonderful time in London 🙂

12. October 10, 2017 / 1:08 pm

I hear you! We just recently came back from a long holiday in Canada and reality and jetlag has hit us badly. I agree holidays pre and post children are so different, but we are enjoying and embracing them nonetheless. There is just so much more organisation and preparation, which isn't a bad thing really. #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 10:01 am

Yes definitely! They are of course wonderful in their very own way 🙂 I hope the jetlag went quickly!

13. October 10, 2017 / 2:39 pm

Holidays are a whole new ball game with kids! I never used to understand why my mom would stress out about something that is supposed to be so fun…but now I get it. My goal is to not become that mom – I always want to enjoy the fun times with my family. 🙂

• October 12, 2017 / 10:00 am

Haha! The packing up the car is the worst bit. Trying to get the serious stuff done before the fun can be had but kids don’t understand that!!!

14. October 10, 2017 / 2:44 pm

HI holidays certainly to change with children they just give happy memories in a different way #TwinklyTuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 9:57 am

Oh definitely. And what wonderful memories they are!

15. October 10, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Oh I went to Uni in Canterbury… it’s such a lovely city. Holidays before kids are a distant memory but we did once take a trip without kids and left them with Grandma for a week… never again as I felt like my right arm was missing! Now with teens I shall miss them when they don’t want to holiday with us! #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 9:57 am

That’s so interesting that you would never do that again. I often see people going away without the kids and wonder how the reality of it is. I woud feel too guilty to leave them behind!

16. October 10, 2017 / 6:39 pm

How you finding blogtober hun? Some of the prompts are a bit vague, no idea what ima do with half of them #TwinklyTuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 9:55 am

It’s hard! Mainly finding the time to do it as I have managed ok to come up with something to write about. I am really enjoying it but the pressure is real!!

17. October 10, 2017 / 8:23 pm

We are off on holiday next week to Portugal and whilst I am looking forward to it, it's not the same as when I used to look forward to holidays pre-child! I don't relax until I get there because I'm always thinking about keeping the Little Man entertained on the journey. Then when you get there it's always 'Mummy Mummy Mummy'! Thankfully Daddy is quite good when we are away as he's pretty useless at sitting still for longer than 10 minutes, so I tend to get a little bit of time each day on the sunbed! #TwinklyTuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 9:54 am

Oh lovely – it’s always good to have an active other half! Have a wonderful holiday 🙂

18. October 10, 2017 / 8:45 pm

How holidays have changed! I do however love the memories I am making with my children and I think to myself in moments where the holiday feels hard work, that this time will be gone so fast and they won't want to holiday with us anymore. I do know that when that happens I will miss them (crazy). #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 9:53 am

Yes! I have no doubt that once the boys are all grown up, those quiet holidays will be very quiet!

19. October 10, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Makes me want to stay in that Canterbury place and to return to explorations of the Kent coast that I enjoyed as a child. I never really had those carefree holidays as my husband had children when I met him

• October 12, 2017 / 9:51 am

Aww we only had a couple as it wasn’t long until we had Zach! I tried finding the place we stayed at and I’m not even sure it’s there any more 🙁 I ight be wrong – they might just have a really bad Google presence!

20. October 11, 2017 / 4:11 am

I can completely relate to the nonrelaxing part of vacationing now, but bringing joy to my kids' faces is so worth. I'll just keep dreaming about our pre-kid vacations and yearn for those types of vacations, some day. #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 9:48 am

Haha, one day they will happen again! One day. And I bet we’ll be moaning about how quiet they are (maybe!).

21. October 11, 2017 / 11:25 am

We recently went to Bluestone and although the boys had lots of fun, myself and my oh came back more tired than when we left lol #twinklytuesday

• October 12, 2017 / 9:47 am

Oh yes – it’s definitely a case of needing another holiday after the holiday!

22. October 13, 2017 / 2:15 pm

We usually need a holiday after the holiday! Hope Blogtober is going well, we couldn't do it. This post has just made us excited that we're going on holiday soon x Thanks for hosting #TwinklyTuesday x

23. October 17, 2017 / 11:13 am

I miss child free holidays, will I ever be able to sunbathe in peace again haha. You are so right though, seeing your children enjoying themselves is better than a quiet chilled out holiday xx #twinklytuesday

24. October 23, 2017 / 1:58 pm

Our week in Italy feels like so long ago now – we don’t have another holiday booked either boo hoo! #twinklytuesday

I love reading your comments so do feel free to leave one - it's like getting a birthday present every time :)